VLC Media Player (formerly VideoLAN Client) is a free and open-source cross-platform multimedia player that supports playback of popular video and audio files including MP4, DivX, FLV, MKV, MP3, and OGG. It also plays Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, VCDs, Webcams, various streaming protocols, and online radio.
VLC is embraced by many movie watchers thanks to its reputable mark as the most stable multimedia player and the most number of media format support. Aside from being a standard in media playback, it’s an open-source program, which means you can extend its features, develop new addons for it, or even build your own version.
VLC is very flexible, you can customize the media player’s UI settings such as toolbars and skins, as well as you can extend its features through add-ons (extensions, plugins, and playlist parsers) available on the internet.
In addition to that, it has built-in audio effects support such as a 12-band equalizer, compressor, spatializer, stereo widener, and pitch adjustment.
In the video effects aspect, it supports commonly used filters such as image adjustments (hue, brightness, contrast, etc.), sharpen, banding removal, and film grain. Other video effects include crop, color manipulation/extraction, overlay, motion/spatial blur, denoiser, etc. which can be useful to advanced users. However, the default settings already cover almost everything you need.
Another great VLC feature that most media players don’t have is the ability to search and download subtitles for your movie files. Also, if you’re fond of changing your desktop’s look and feel, surely, you’ll love this feature — to turn a video into an animated wallpaper quite similar to Windows Vista’s Dreamscene.
To summarize, VLC Media Player is a multimedia application that has everything you need to enjoy your entertainment no matter what platform you use.
- Plays almost everything – Audio, image and video files; discs, webcams, devices, streams
- New 8K video resolution playback
- 360-degree video and 3D audio
- HDR and 10-bit video
- Chromecast/Google Cast support
- Network browsing for NAS devices
- HD DVD support
- Shader support in the OpenGL output
- Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed – MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3, and new HEVC (H.265) codec.
- Supports various audio and video effects
- Audio effects: 12-band EQ, compressor, stereo widener, karaoke filters, etc.
- Video effects: band removal, sharpen, grain, denoise, deinterlacing, anti-flickering, etc.
- Ability to search and download movie subtitles
- Runs on all platforms – Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android
- Lightweight — doesn’t take much on computer resources
- Free – no spyware, no ads, and no user tracking.
|Date released||January 18, 2020|
|File size||More than 40MB (depends on OS variant)|
|License model||Free (open-source)|
|Multilingual||Yes — Support major languages|
|Operating Systems||Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP Mac OS X 10.7.5 (64bit Intel-based) or later Linux Android 2.2 or later iOS 9.0 or later|
|Social Media Links|
VLC Media Player changelog / release notes / version history
What’s new in VLC Media Player 3.0.12
Changes between 3.0.12 and 220.127.116.11
- 18.104.22.168 is the first release for Apple Silicon macs
- Version bump to allow an automatic upgrade path
Changes between 22.214.171.124 and 3.0.12
- Add new RIST access module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1)
- Add new RIST access output module compliant with simple profile (VSF_TR-06-1)
- Fixed adaptive’s handling of resolution settings
- Improve Bluray tracks support
- Improve WMV seeking and DASH support
- Fix crashes in AVI, MKV modules
- Fix audio distortion on macOS during start of playback
- Direct3D11: Fix some potential crashes when using video filters
- Add native support for Apple Silicon / ARM-64
- Visual UI adaptations for macOS Big Sur
- Fix displaying EQ bands in the UI depending on which frequency presets are set for the EQ in advanced preferences
- Fix UI issues in the bookmarks window
- Several fixes in the web interface, including privacy and security improvements * Update YouTube and Vocaroo scripts * Fix rotation filter mouse handling
- Update translations