Make Windows 10 Startup and Shutdown Faster Than Ever
Windows 10 may be faster and leaner than older versions but it still has a tendency to slow down with use. The more you install and remove programs, change Windows settings and work with your computer, the slower it becomes. If you want to make Windows 10 startup and shutdown faster, this guide is for you.
Programs like to take up more resources and tend to add themselves to startup. The more programs you install, the slower your computer can get. There are a few tricks you can use to speed everything up though.
Make Windows 10 Startup Faster
The first step in speeding up Windows 10 is streamlining it a little. Use CCleaner to perform many of these tasks because it can take care of much of what we need to do.
- Download and install CCleaner.
- Navigate to Tools in the left menu and then Uninstall.
- Work through the list and uninstall any program you no longer use.
- Select Startup in the left menu and then click Enabled in the tab to sort.
- Double click any program with Yes under Enabled that are not strictly necessary.
Anything aside from antivirus, software firewall and graphics or audio drivers can be safely disabled. This just removes them from automatically booting at start, it does not disable them completely.
- Click the Registry menu option in CCleaner.
- Click Scan for Issues and then Fix select issues once the process completes. You can create a restore point if you like.
- Repeat step 2 to collect any further obsolete registry entries created by the first pass.
Then go to This PC in Windows Explorer.
- Highlight a hard drive, right click and select Properties.
- Select the Tools tab and then Optimize.
- Check each drive for its fragmentation state. If over 10%, perform an optimization.
Do not perform an optimization if the media type says Solid state drive. They do not need to be optimized!
Finally, stop Windows 10 background apps.
- Click the Windows Start button and select Settings.
- Navigate to Privacy and Background apps.
- Go through the list turning off those apps you don’t use.
Once complete, reboot your computer and marvel at how fast it is! These four simple tasks can drastically improve your Windows 10 user experience. There are lots more tweaks you can make but these four are by far the most effective.
Last Updated on